The University’s bylaws require that all contracts, deeds and other legal instruments made in the ordinary course of the business of the University be executed by the President of the University or one of his designees as determined by the Operational Delegation of Authority. No University, college, school, department, center, institute, University recognized student organization, or other internal entity has authority to contract on the University’s behalf in its own name. Only those specifically identified in the Operational Delegation of Authority, or in a current sub‐delegation form, may sign contracts on behalf of the University or any of its colleges or departments, and then only if the contract has a cover sheet from the Office of General Counsel.
When entering into contractual relationships, or creating changes to current contracts, University departments must:
1. Consult with the Office of General Counsel during negotiation so that applicable legal considerations may be taken into account and a determination of the role of the Office of General Counsel can be made.
2. Consult with the Office of General Counsel on the appropriate form of agreement.
The Office of General Counsel will perform a legal review of the contract and route the contract to the appropriate University official for his or her review and signature based on the Operational Delegation of Authority.
Upon contract execution, our office will coordinate with the department to obtain copies of those agreements designated for inclusion in the University Contract Repository.
If you have questions regarding this procedure please contact us at 631‐6411 or email@example.com
Sub-delegation of authority can be authorized via the Delegation of Authority Form
Forms and Resources
Please submit contracts for review by way of the firstname.lastname@example.org email address. Preferred file formats are MS Word or Adobe PDF. If the matter is up for renewal, please also include a copy of the original agreement with the email.
In the body of the email, please provide us with the following background information:
- What is the purpose of this contract?
- What is the anticipated total dollar value of the contract?
- Does your department have an ongoing relationship with this vendor?
- Who typically serves as the Notre Dame authorized signer for this type of agreement?
- Keeping in mind that our office strives to review all materials as quickly as possible, is there a ‘firm deadline’ or ‘target date’ by which you wish to have a response from our office?
UCR Submission Form - This form is to be used when returning fully executed contracts that General Counsel has requested be retained in the UCR.
Sample_Notifications - System Generated Emails Based on File Status and/or Type
User_Request_Form - Add and/or Remove UCR Users. Please Note: There may be fees associated with adding new users