Permanent Residency

Permanent resident or "green card" status allows an individual to live permanently in the United States with the right of employment and the ability to travel in and out of the U.S.

For faculty members or their families, the University does not provide representation in the final phase of the process (personal petition.) However, the Office of General Counsel can provide a cursory review of the required materials prior to the faculty member mailing the petition.

Research Faculty, Library Faculty, Special Professional Faculty and Staff posiions may apply for permanent residence after three years with the department's approval. The position must be permanent and the department is required to pay labor certification fees. Outside counsel must be used to assist with the process.

I-485 Required Documents

USCIS "How do I" Guides for Permanent Residents